Wednesday, August 16, 2006

He named her Leta

I teach her to wash her face,
the white bumps nomads
across her freckly nose, she fears
she’ll never become a star,
never strut down a cat walk
or sing on a New York stage
I say hold your hands under,
cup them like a bowl
catch the water and bring it up,
it helps to blow out a bit,
yes make little bubbles, like
when I taught you to swim
in the plastic pool of star fish
and seahorses in the swampy yard
or at the lake where your dad
taught you how to put that slimy
thing on a hook
before we walked to Nanny’s grave
too soon, not yet situated in the earth
but still a mound your father
cried before, your 3 three year old hand
on his shoulder, with the purple
glittered star barrettes in your curly hair
The photos of you are the same
just miniature you’s they are
my star child, my gift of May
with sage eyes and serious brow
like dad’s I’m afraid
He also dreamt of being a star,
the sores on his hands unhealing,
strumming a base and singing
“I’m so lonesome I could cry”
while he sat beside me, one of us
comforted, the other the lonely one
as we looked up at the little town
stars, he put his hand
on my then flat belly.

5 Comments:

Blogger Plus Ultra said...

Your pride and joy....born in May, three years old...I love this especially when it reminds me of my first granddaughter, Naomi in Scotland, so far away

Monday, August 21, 2006 4:54:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa Cohen said...

I like the range of this and the recursive use of stars.

Lovely.

best,
ljc

(thank you for your kind comments on my blog)

Thursday, August 24, 2006 4:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This all flows beautifully, linking such precious memories together. I really enjoyed reading this.

This is my first stop by your blog and I will definitely be coming by again.

Friday, October 27, 2006 3:46:00 PM  
Blogger Letajo said...

thanks all..have been away from the blog awhile, nice to see vistors. Hope to see eachother more often.

Friday, October 27, 2006 4:31:00 PM  
Blogger M. Shahin said...

Very nicely expressed. I'm looking forward to reading more soon.

Sunday, November 12, 2006 3:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home